Did you know milk contains nine essential nutrients? They help better manage your weight, reduce your risk for high blood pressure, osteoporosis, and more.
Dairy has protein to help build and repair the muscle tissue of active bodies and calcium, which helps build strong bones and teeth.
Plus, a treat like ice cream is a great way to cool off in the summer.
And the best part? You don’t need a fancy ice cream maker to make ice cream at home. All you need are a few simple ingredients, two plastic baggies, and 15 minutes!
• 1/2 cup low-fat milk
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 cups ice
• Kosher salt
1. Place milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a pint-size bag and zip close.
2. In a gallon size bag, mix kosher salt and ice.
3. Place the pint-sized sealed bag inside the gallon-sized bag on top of the ice and remove as much air as possible.
4. Seal gallon-sized bag.
5. Shake or toss bag for 5-10 minutes until the ice cream sets up.
6. Remove the smaller bag from the larger bag and squeeze ice cream into a bowl.
Have any questions about nutrition? Email Feeding Westchester’s Nutrition Resource Manager at email@example.com.